NIEER Survey: Young Children’s Home Learning and Preschool Participation Experiences During the Pandemic (July 23, 2020)
Moving New Jersey Schools Forward Amid COVID-19 is an online forum to support the development of school district planning that responds to the challenges of COVID-19 (recorded webinars).
Beyond Borders in a Crises: The Global Response to Support Children. A blog by Joan Lombardi (March 24, 2020, Preschool Matters Today) on the global impact COVID-19 has had on children.
CityHealth and NIEER co-sponsored webinar (July 15, 2020) Planning for the Upcoming School Year: How Cities are Adapting Their Pre-K Program in the Era of Covid-19
COVID-19 Crisis and Early Learning webinar series co-sponsored by NIEER and CCSSO:
- Part I: Continuous Learning (slides) (April 2, 2020) featured resources by Amanda Peterson, Director, Early Childhood, Kansas Department of Education and CCSSO, including: Kansas Continuous Learning 2020, Kansas Covid-19 Resource Center, and CCSSO Supporting States Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
- Part II: Remote Learning( slides) (April 16, 2020) featured resources presented by Monica DellaMea, Executive Director, West Virginia Department of Education, including the West Virginia Remote Learning Framework for the COVID-19 and Marina Umaschi Bers, Professor & Chair, Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study and Human Development, Tufts University on the DevTech Research Group.
- Part III: Summer Learning and Student Learning Loss (slides) (April 30, 2020) focused on summer learning, and transition into the next school year featuring Michael Salvatore, Superintendent of the Long Branch Public Schools in New Jersey, Dr. Aaron Dworkin,Chief Executive Officer, National Summer Learning Association (NSLA), and Lorraine Thoreson, Manager, 21st Century Community Learning Centers at the Michigan Department of Education.
- Part IV: Covid-19 Crisis and Early Learning (slides) (May 14, 2020) featured NIEER’s Senior Co-Director, Steve Barnett; Jamie Miles, Chief of Schools, AppleTree Institute for Education; and Tennessee’s Darlene Estes-Del Re, Assistant Commissioner of Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Education Division. See NIEER’s State and City Responses page for links to Connecticut, DC, Michigan, New York, and Vermont. The following resources were shared during the webinar:
- Analysis — A Blueprint for Reopening America’s Schools This Fall: 21 Former Education Chiefs Identify 6 Top Priorities for Districts & Statehouses in Returning Amid Coronavirus
- ECTA Center resources for part C and 619
- Eliot-Person Department of Child Study and Human Development, Tufts University
- ISTE Early Learning Network
- Learning Trajectories – Birth to Grade 3
- WIDA COVID-19 Updates
- Part V: Early Learning COVID-19 Crisis: Opportunities of Summer Learning featured Lauren Zybinski, Texas Education Agency and Erin Kissling, Early Learning Indiana. National resources shared included a resource and funding guide from the National Summer Learning Association; and funding opportunities from the Afterschool Alliance. New state resources from Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas are on NIEER’s State and City Responses page.
To assist state education leaders in planning for the restart of schools, CCSSO has released Phase 2 Restart & Recovery framework.
NIEER and CCSSO have also partnered to present a series of webinars for the 2020 ECE SCASS.
- Assessing and Evaluating P3 Systems (July 9, 2020) (recording) and shared resources: ECTA Center – Provider and Educator Use of Technology; Hechinger Report – Schools this fall, how can it work; Johns Hopkins – Reopening: An equity checklist; Johns Hopkins – Reopening: Policy tracker; National P3 Center – Early Grades Fall Reentry plan.
- Unifying Framework for the Early Childhood Education Profession and Elevating Nebraska’s Early Childhood Workforce (June 25, 2020) (recording)
- The Promise of the Preschool Development Grant Birth to Age Five Renewal Funding – to Build Better Early Care and Education Systems (June 18, 2020) (recording)
Honor the Essential Early Childhood Workforce During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Some Examples and New Ideas. A blog by Peggy Daly Pizzo (March 25, 2020, Preschool Matters Today).
Initial Ideas and Resource on Planning for Reopening Following COVID-19 School Closures. A summary of national and state resources compiled by Lori Connors-Tadros (April 24, 2020).
Into the unknown. Managing home-schooling and work in the age of COVID-19. A blog by Milagros Nores (March 19, 2020, Preschool Matters Today.)
Kindergarten Entry Assessments: Considerations for Fall 2020 (August 18, 2020) webinar co-sponsored by CCSSO, WestEd, and NIEER highlighted the use of KEA data and how Ohio and South Carolina are planning to implement a KEA in the fall 2020. Handouts included:
- CCSSO – K-2 Assessments: An Update on State Adoption & Implementation
- Alabama – KEA Alakidsand Remote Instruction Guidance Plan
- Ohio – KRA Virtual School Guidance
- Minnesota – Assessment Guidance and 2020-21 School Year Planning
- South Carolina – Readiness Assessments and Guide for Administering Assessments
- Washington – Reopening 2020: District Early Learning Planning Guide
Lessons from China to Keep and Teach Our Children Well, Especially the Youngest. A blog by Steve Barnett and Zijia Li (April 9, 2020, Preschool Matters Today) on lessons that can be learned based on China’s experience with COVID-19.
Now is the time to invest in preschool education. Here’s why An opinion article (May 6, 2020, Fortune) by NIEER Founder and Senior Co-director Dr. Steven Barnett. Dr. Barnett outlines three steps state and federal policymakers can take to enhance preschool and protect it from budget cutting mistakes similar to those made 12 years ago in response to the Great Recession.
Recommendations for Safer, Effective Emergency Childcare for Children of Essential Workers. Guidance intended to inform policy and practice for childcare providers who remain open during the COVID-19 public health emergency to provide childcare services for essential personnel.
Review of State School Reopening Plans and Implications and Suggestions for State Funded Pre-K Programs. A review of all of the state’s reopening public school plans and an analysis of pre-K inclusion by GG Weisenfeld (July 31, 2020, updated August 18, 2020).