Effecting change through early education research
The National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) conducts academic research to inform policy supporting high-quality, early education for all young children. Such education promotes the physical, cognitive and social development needed for children to succeed in school and later life.
NIEER provides independent, research-based analysis and technical assistance to policymakers, journalists, researchers, and educators.
Our research program aims to:
- Provide a vision of early education excellence in terms that are usable by policy makers and understandable to the general public
- Monitor and evaluate national and state progress toward early educational excellence
- Develop and analyze model legislation, standards, regulations and other policies required to improve quality and increase access to good preschool programs
- Explain the costs, outcomes and economic benefits of alternative policies
The Institute works with state and national policy makers and other organizations to:
- Collect, archive and disseminate information on the status of early education access and quality, exemplary practices and policies, and public opinion
- Develop research and communication strategies to fill gaps in knowledge and to effectively apply scientific knowledge to early education policy
- Commission new research and analysis to be carried out by Institute staff, visiting scholars and researchers at other institutions
- Create a rapid response capacity to provide the media with an independent, research-based perspective on breaking news
- Stimulate national and state discussions of early education policy
- Partner with other organizations to develop a coherent national research agenda and to deliver and publicize vital information about early education
Past and current supporters of research performed by NIEER include:
Annie E. Casey Foundation, Center for American Progress, Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, Foundation for Child Development, Fundacio Carulla-AELO TU, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Heising-Simons Foundation, W.K. Kellogg Foundation, The Nicholson Foundation, National Science Foundation (NSF), US Department of Education, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, The William Penn Foundation, The Pew Charitable Trusts, PNC Foundation, The Prudential Foundation, PSE&G Foundation, Schumann Fund for New Jersey, Henry and Marilyn Taub Foundation.
For more information about NIEER, contact:
National Institute for Early Education Research
73 Easton Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1879
Or click here to subscribe to our newsletter!