NIEER Senior Co-Director Ellen Frede Ph.D. discussed research and critical state experiences concerning equity and high-fidelity implementation of pre-K in New Jersey during the Council of Chief State School Officers summit in January 2018.
Her presentation included these key lessons for program design:
- Initial gains must be large & meaningful
- Structural features (resources) are necessary, but not sufficient
- Program standards should encompass key features of practice
- Cost should be determined based on design not designed to fit an arbitrary budget figure
- Broader policies and practices before, after, and around preschool interact
Click to Download